I have decided that my New Year’s resolution each year will be to read more books than the previous year, my list last year included 24 books read; and this year I was only able to read 22, even though I had an original goal of 30. To track how many books I read in a year I use the Goodreads yearly reading goal. I used the “pick-and-read” system that I began using last year to determine what book to read, I revised it to include the type of book I should read instead of just picking the title of book.
2015 was the “year of the series”; meaning that I read more books that were part of a series than standalone books, not that I minded.
Here is a list of the books I read in 2015 and my thoughts on each.
I have also added the number of stars 1-5 (*-*****) on my rating of each book.
All books with a √ are my favorite books that I read.
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien – I began this series in 2014, and knowing I had to finish it I decided to start my year with book two. The longer I read this series the more I appreciated the avid fans of it. *****
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien – Finishing this series was heartbreaking, I really wish Tolkien had written more books in this series. I would have loved to have known if Frodo got married and started his own Hobbit family. *****
- Atonement by Ian McEwan √ – A BOOK WITH A ONE WORD TITLE – I am huge fan of this movie, and found that the book and the movie mirrored each other fairly well. I loved this book so much that I ended up reading it in two days. *****
- Persuasion by Jane Austen – I found this to be very slow all the way through; for being such a short book it took me a long time to read. **
- Naked Heat by Richard Castle – A BOOK BASED ON OR MADE INTO A TV SHOW – Having read the first novel in this series last year I knew I wanted to read more, so that is why I picked it when I drew the strip. ****
- The Gift by Danielle Steel – A BOOK THAT CAME OUT THE YEAR YOU WERE BORN (1986) – This was actually a reread for me, I didn’t mind though. I have probably read this Danielle Steel book more than any others of hers. ****
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon √ – When I drew this book I didn’t realize what I was getting into. This series was INTENSE! I could not get enough. The relationship between Jaime and Claire to start their relationship was wonderful. I loved going back in time to Scotland. *****
- Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon √ – Book 2 in the Outlander series started out slow, but once I got into it, it turned out to be a wonderful book. *****
- Voyager by Diana Gabaldon √ – Outlander book 3 was one of my favorites in the series. *****
- Bossypants by Tina Fey – A FUNNY BOOK – I ended up reading this in the middle of the Outlander series because I was having to wait on book 4 to come up on my OverDrive app. This was a lot funnier than I thought. Highly recommended. ****
- Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon √ – Book 4 was worth the wait. The way it showed the relationship of Brianna and Roger was one of my favorites in the series. *****
- The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon √ – Book 5 of the series took me to historical places I had only read about in history books, and I loved it! *****
- A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon √ – Book 6 took the series to a whole new level. *****
- An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon √ – Book 7 had many ups and downs, I almost couldn’t keep up, not that I minded. *****
- Written in My Own Hearts Blood by Diana Gabaldon √ – I was really sad when I finished book 8. Book 9 is being written, and I wanted to read it immediately after I was done with 8. *****
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by JK Rowling √ – A BOOK THAT WAS MADE INTO A MOVIE – When I picked this slip, I figured why not reread the HP series. This is one of my favorite series to read, as it is one of my favorite series to watch, *****
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling √ – Harry Potter, need I say more? *****
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling √ – Sirius Black = best godfather ever; after he was found innocent of course.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling √ – My favorite movie, and my favorite book. *****
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling √ – I wish I were a witch so I could have a group of bodyguards like the Order. The death of Sirius hurt me just as bad as the first time I read it. *****
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling √ – As this series comes to a close I always get a little sad because I begin to fall in love with all of the characters. *****
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling √ – When I get to the final book in the HP series, I want to relish it and read it very slowly. I wanted to do it this time, but I also wanted to finish the series before the end of the year. This is another series where I wish there were more to it, I would love to know what happens to the original characters’ children while they’re at Hogwarts. *****
I have included my reading resolution lists for 2016, that I can add to my “book tribute” bucket. In 2014 I found a wonderful idea of picking a book out of a hat, or in my case a Tide Pods container (see last year’s book blog); I then took an old envelope and put all of the books I picked in it, I wrote on the slip when I started the book and when I finished the book. I also put each book I finished on the back of the envelope; in a separate notebook I put my list to keep better track of what I read.
I read most of my books on the Overdrive library app, it is the perfect way to read books if you have a library card.
I hope you can find a great read or two on my list.
See you in 2016!